The Dallas Mavericks used a 9-0 run after the Cleveland Cavaliers tied the game with a little over five minutes to play in the fourth quarter. That run helped put away a 2-7, yet scrappy, Cavs team.
O.J. Mayo again led Dallas in scoring with 19 points on another good shooting night. He was 3-5 from three-point range. Darren Collison had a crucial bucket and a couple assists in that late run to help propel the Mavs. He ended up with 14 points and eight assists.
Dallas also got big contributions from Dominique Jones and Troy Murphy. Murphy hit three three-pointers in the second half that gave Dallas the lead at each time. Jones had 10 points off the bench as he took over the backup point guard minutes ahead of the frustrating Rodrigue Beaubois.
There was even more balance as Shawn Marion recorded his first double-double of the season with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
Second-year point guard Kyrie Irving paced the Cavs with 26 points.
This was not a pretty victory, with the Mavs committing 22 turnovers, but Dallas showed enough poise to get the victory. Closing had been a problem for the Mavs, especially on the road by losing four straight since an opening-night win against the Los Angeles Lakers. For now, Dallas showed better ability to close out a game.
Dallas returns home for another three-game homestand with a Monday night matchup against the Golden State Warriors.
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- After Loss to Indiana Pacers, Dallas Mavericks Now 5-5 After 10 Games Heading into Saturday Night’s Matchup Against Cleveland Cavaliers
- Gameday Recap: Dallas Mavericks Survive Second Half to Beat Toronto Raptors, Win Third Straight
- Gameday Recap: Dallas Mavericks Pull Away from Portland Trail Blazers, Move to 3-1 on Young Season
- Gameday Recap: Dallas Mavericks Once Again Falter Down Stretch, Lose to Charlotte Bobcats for First Time
- Gameday Recap: Dallas Mavericks Withstand Rally, Beat Lowly Washington Wizards
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/mxp